Traverse City, MI - July 30 - Series III started off today at the Flintfields Horse Park in Traverse City. This is the concluding week of Horse Shows by the Bay, and it runs through Sunday, August 3. The highlight of the week in the jumpers is the $25,000 D-BRAIDER Cherry Capital Classic Grand Prix on Saturday, August 2, at 2 p.m.
The Team Elmer's Grand Prix ring hosted the Jumpers today. Several classes were held, including Level 5, 6 and the NAL Open Speed class. The course designer for the grand prix ring is Guilherme Jorge from Brazil.
The first class of the day was $750 Level 5 Jumpers, sponsored by Buckeye Nutrition. The class was run according to Table II, Sec. 2(b), and the time allowed was 78 seconds. With the course spread out over the large ring, riders really had to be aware of the clock.
Winning this morning in the $750 Level 5 Jumpers for the second week in a row was David Beisel. Aboard Rockstar, a Selle Francais gelding, the pair had a blazing first round time of 69.15 seconds, followed by a jump-off time of 32.015 seconds.
"Rockstar was great today. He felt even better than last week," said Beisel. "The course was again a different flavor from last week but nice, very inviting and smooth."
The first round course began with a line that walked in a conservative seven strides. Every rider rode it a little differently; some got eight strides and some were galloping for five.
"I did the seven because mine are a little slow and it was the first day, and I wanted to be careful. I was going to do it in the five, but that might have been getting a little too carried away for me with these guys in these classes," laughed Beisel.
The $1,000 Level 6 Jumpers followed Level 5. Running off the same requirements as the previous class, it used Table II 2(b).
Most of the riders in the class made it to the jump-off, so the times had to be quick. Winning the class was Lisa Goldman and Centurion B. The horse is owned by Mary Goldman.
Goldman and Centurion B handled the course well. Even though they were the first in the class, they managed to hold the lead the entire time. "Nothing was very tricky; I think I made up the most time because my horse has such a big step. Also, we can really turn over a fence, so that makes it nice," said Goldman.
After the Level 6 Jumpers finished their class, the $3,000 NAL Open Speed class began. This class was the first to use the grassy bank built into the far corner of the ring. Riders has to jump a fence onto it, gallop up the hill and back down, then jump a fence back into the ring.
This class used a time allowed of 89 seconds and riders were making up time wherever they could since they didn't know how the bank would ride. Winning the class was Henry Pfeiffer on Sister. Pfeiffer has had the horse in the barn for awhile, but the horse was a little too strong for his sister Laura, so now Pfeiffer rides the horse and been doing great.
The bank was the one area of the course that riders were worried about but excited at the same time. They all looked liked they were having a great time. "It was fun doing the bank for the first time; it's a nice run and gun part of the course. It was nice and flowing and kept you moving. I think I made up the most time across the back and over the Swedish," said Pfeiffer. "It is hard to keep things up when you start cooking like that, but we did it."
Tomorrow at Horse Show by the Bay will feature the $10,000 Welcome Prix. For more information and full results, please visit http://www.horseshowsbythebay.com
$750 Level 5 Jumpers
1. Rockstar, Equestrian Endeavors, David Beisel, 0/0/32.015
2. Nickel De Prin, Watershed Ventures, Jennifer Nadalin, 0/0/33.211
3. Nightline U, Karen Fuqua, David Beisel, 0/0/34.012
4. Cut to the Chase, Lisa Fresard, Greg Crolick, 0/0/34.249
5. Upstart, Claybrook Farms, Carrie Wilson, 0/0/0/0/35.449
6. Gregory, Tania Kuhlman, David Beisel, 0/0/37.062
7. Chianti 67, North Face Farm, Erin Haas, 0/4/33.693
8. Chocolate Martini, Hidden Lane Farm, David Beisel, 0/4/35.044
$1,000 Level 6 Jumpers
1. Centurion B, Mary Goldman, Lisa Goldman, 0/0/33.614
2. Fontaine, Lisa Goldman, Lisa Goldman, 0/0/34.368
3. Amis De Kannan, Trestle Tree LLC, Lisa Jacquin, 0/0/34.910
4. Zoe, Gem Stables, Inc, Erin McCabe, 0/0/36.137
5. Chellapo Z, Mimi Able Smith, Katherine Newman, 0/0/38.381
6. Obourg, Flintwoode Farms, LLC, Lisa Jacquin, 0/0/39.360
7. Cradilo, Kassandra Ladd, Amy Hunter, 3/80.931
8. Gran Banks, Wendy Arndt Hodges, Casey Hodges, 4/81.163
$3,000 NAL Open Speed
1. Sister, Fox Meadow Farm, Henry Pfeiffer, 0/82.337
2. Lazzara, Watershed Ventures, Jennifer Nadalin, 2/87.458
3. Finn Razel, Wendy Arndt Hodges, Casey Hodges, 2/90.383
4. Belvedere, Kimberly Seay, David Beisel, 4/80.880
5. Irish Hunt, Carlie Beisel, David Beisel, 8/80.224
6. Gran Banks, Wendy Arndt Hodges, Casey Hodges, 12/96.705
Photo Credit: David Beisel and Rockstar won the Level 6 Jumpers at the third week of Horse Shows by the Bay. Photo (C) 2008 Jenny Underwood/PMG. This photo may be used free of charge only in relation to this press release.
---------------------- It's easy! Just copy code below and paste into your webpage --------------------
<a href="http://www.equestrianmag.com/article/david-beisel-horse-bay-series-3-07-08.html">David Beisel Wins Another One at Horse Shows by the Bay Series III</a> ~ EquestrianMag.com