Slome and Phillips Capture Wins in High Amateur-Owner and Junior Jumpers at WEF
Wellington, FL – February 9, 2007 – The Palm Beach Equine Clinic/Adequan Gold Coast Classic, CSI 3* presented by bluhammock music continued competition today for the jumpers. In the Internationale Arena, the main events in the morning were the High Junior and Amateur-Owner Jumper classes. Gabby Slome and Salsa raced to the win in the amateurs, while Addison Phillips and Wokina had their first double clear round together to win the junior class.
Both classes were scored as Table II, Sec. 2 (c), a Power and Speed format. The course was designed by Finland’s Aki Ylaenne. The courses offered a test for scope, adaptability and turns.
In the High Junior Jumper class that went first in the morning, 10 out of the 20 entries were clear in the power phase to continue the course. The early lead was set by Saphira and Alexandra Arute, who posted a time of 42.439 seconds.
That lead would be demolished by 16 year old Addison Phillips of New York City on her horse Wokina. The huge eight year old Warmblood mare opened up her stride and ate up the lines on her way to setting the time to beat at 36.525 seconds. It would be the first time that Phillips and Wokina, who have been partnered together since July of 2006, had a double clear round.
“I’ve shown her the past two weeks out on the field, and she felt really good. Today it really came together,” Phillips described.
Today’s course seemed to suit the big-moving mare. “The course was challenging. She’s really good at just getting into the gallop, so it was a nice course for her because we could win by doing the strides everywhere. She’s my biggest jumper, and her stride is huge. I think I did two less strides to the last jump than I had planned,” Phillips said with a laugh.
Phillips has big plans for her talented new horse. “We’re slowing moving up, and hopefully she’ll be jumping bigger by the end of circuit. I definitely think by next year she can start doing the grand prix. She has the scope,” she said. “We have to see what works out.”
In the High Amateur-Owner class, the course offered interesting challenges for riders, such as a one stride set as a triple bar to a vertical. Of the 39 entries in the class, only 12 made it to the speed portion of the course. Going to the top of the list in the class was Salsa, ridden by Gabby Slome. Slome stopped the timers just seven-tenths of a second faster than the second place finishers, Edasa’s Lydille and Sean Crooks. Slome’s time was 41.193 seconds.
Unlike Phillips and Wokina, Slome and Salsa, a 14 year old Belgian Warmblood gelding, have been partnered together for a long time. Slome has gotten to know Salsa’s little quirks over the past four years. “I got him when I was a junior, so I’ve gone a long way with him. When I first got him, I was doing the Low classes. I moved up to the Highs, and I’ve done a few of the smaller grand prix with him. He’s usually not a big fan of the grand prix ring, so he’s grown up a lot,” she explained. “When he’s on, he’s amazing. This is his first class in the grand prix ring this season, so I was really happy that he went in and marched around. He’s gotten a lot more mellow in his old age. It’s a really nice change!”
Slome knew she had a few spots on the course that she had to focus on. “I was nervous about the triple bar in and out because that’s the corner that he doesn’t love,” she remarked. “Also, if you miss going in, that’s definitely not good! That was a little nerve-wracking. The course was definitely technical.”
All in all, it was a great class for the pair in their first show of 2007. “I was really happy with it. It’s a nice way to start. Hopefully, we’ll continue this way,” Slome concluded.
Jumper competition continues tomorrow at the Winter Equestrian Festival in five rings. The highlights of the day are the Show Jumping Hall of Fame Amateur-Owner Jumper Classic at 10 a.m., the 1.50m Jumper Classic afterwards and the $15,000 Cosequin Dressage/Jumper Spectacular at 3 p.m.
Results: $2,500 HIGH JUNIOR JUMPER POWER & SPEED, II, 2
1. 2553, WOKINA, ADDISON PHILLIPS, ADDISON PHILLIPS, 0/0/36.525
2. 1943, HEAUDINE, AIMEE ARON, KINLOCH ENT., 0/0/36.911
3. 3169, SAPHIRA, ALEXANDRA ARUTE, OLYMPIC DREAMS, 0/0/42.439
4. 1996, RIVER, CORTRIGHT WETHERILL, CORTRIGHT WETHERILL, 0/4/39.670
5. 2836, LANOO, ALI WOLFF, ALI WOLFF, 0/4/40.310
6. 2658, EDWARD HIMSELF, AMELIA MCARDLE, MICHELLE KAMINE, 0/4/41.296
7. 547, SPYGIRL, AMANDA KNOWLES, AMANDA KNOWLES, 0/4/42.912
8. 2090, IVRESSE, JULIANNA FISCHER, JULIANNA FISCHER, 0/8/39.066
9. 1755, CARDOSO, BIANCA LAFONTAINE, BIANCA LAFONTAINE, 0/8/43.040
10. 2659, PILOT, AMELIA MCARDLE, AMELIA MCARDLE, 0/FALL
11. 2143, NALEIDA, CATIE BOONE, CATIE BOONE, 4/48.260
12. 2142, CHER 14, CATIE BOONE, CATIE BOONE, 4/48.810
Results: $2,500 HIGH AMATEUR-OWNER JUMPER POWER & SPEED II, 2,
1. 764, SALSA, GABBY SLOME, GABBY SLOME, 0/0/41.193
2. 407, EDASA'S LYDILLE, SEAN CROOKS, GLEN TOUELL, 0/0/41.804
3. 1378, CAMPEZINO, LARA GAY, RCG FARM LLC, 0/0/45.237
4. 3198, LANDGERO, AGATHA D'AMBRA, TRADE WINDS FARM, 0/0/45.285
5. 421, MILL CREEK ROSALINDE, TONYA HENNING, MILL CREEK STABLES, 0/4/ 39.134
6. 2397, PELE, LACY MARRONE, EQUI SPORT LLC, 0/4/39.588
7. 413, MASTER MAN, KELLY SOLEAU, BRIDGE BROOK ARMS, 0/4/43.028
8. 307, RONYA, MARLEY GOODMAN, MARLEY GOODMAN, 0/4/45.056
9. 3424, GLADDIS, LAURA KELK, LAURA KELK, 0/7/52.320
10. 3356, TITUS, JESSICA SPEISER, JESSICA SPEISER, 0/8/48.559
11. 3559, ROLLS ROYCE, JENNIFER URIOSTE, LINDA URIOSTE, 0/12/57.031
12. 701, SUBLIEM, WHITNEY WEEKS, WHITNEY WEEKS, 0/13/58.611
Photo Credit: Gabby Slome and Salsa, winners in the High Amateur-Owner Jumpers at the Winter Equestrian Festival. Photo © 2007 Randi Muster.
Be the first to submit a comment on this article!
Submit your comments
Link to this article
---------------------- It's easy! Just copy code below and paste into your webpage --------------------
<a href="http://www.equestrianmag.com/article/wef-slome-phillips-jumpers-adequan-2-07.html">Slome and Phillips Capture Wins in High Amateur-Owner and Junior Jumpers at WEF</a> ~ EquestrianMag.com
Your link will appear like this:
Slome and Phillips Capture Wins in High Amateur-Owner and Junior Jumpers at WEF ~ EquestrianMag.com