Best Breeches For Horse Riding (A Buyer's Guide)
Are you looking for the best breeches for your debut in the equestrian world? Perhaps you are just looking for a new pair because yours are looking a little old and worn?
Whether you are a novice rider and need to know which horse riding breeches are best for your needs, or an experienced rider wanting to invest in the perfect pair for your riding discipline, we can help.
We review 5 of the best riding breeches available, for your consideration. We also include a buyer’s guide that will be of great help to those of you who are new to the world of horse riding.
Top 5 Horse Riding Breeches (Our Review)
Irideon Men’s Wind Pro Breeches (Best Winter Breeches)
- Wind proof
- Chamisoft knee patch
- Breathable fleece interior
- Warm and insulated
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
Don’t be left out in the cold. These breeches are specially designed to keep you warm and super comfy in the colder months. Ride through rain or mud with these fleece-lined winter breeches.
A bit expensive, but good quality and weatherproofing qualities make this a good buy.
Brave the cold, wind, and snow in these tough, classic winter breeches. The Irideon Men’s Wind Pro Breeches are available in small, large, and extra-large sizes.
- Only available in black, and only in 3 sizes.
Willit Women’s Knee Patch Schooling Tights With Zipper Pockets (Best Schooling Breeches)
- Stretchy & Breathable Fabric: Stretchy, breathable fabric wicks sweat to keep your ride comfortable from beginning to end. A new composition of specially twisted yarns for incredible stretch and recovery
- Silicone Knee Patches: The Ladies Breeches come with a high-quality knee-patch that ensures a comfortable, non-slip ride in all disciplines and gives these breeches a trendy, retro look
- Secure Zip Pockets: Convenient side zip pockets for you to carry along your keys, phone or any item that you would like to bring with you
- Pull Up Comfort: Wide waistband with belt loops delivers a comfortable fit and stay-put confidence
- The Horze seat breaches hug you all around and give you the style and confidence that you so desire when riding. These Women's Horse Riding tights are multi-functional, for any type of sport
These high-waisted equestrian riding tights are extremely comfortable, fit true to size (from x-small through to x-large), and are available in 7 stunning colors.
They are lightweight and cool for the summer months and have zippered pockets for your mobile phone or other essentials (can take the iPhone plus).
Ride safely and securely thanks to silicone grip knee patches, and be protected from harmful UV rays by the UPF50+ protection built into the fabric.
- Available in a wide array of colors
- Sizes x small to x large
- Fit true to size
- Zippered pockets
- UPF 50 sun protection
- Not available in a full seat version as yet
TuffRider Cotton Full Seat Breeches (Best Men’s Riding Breeches)
- Known for durability
- Made with spandex material for stretch
- Unique detailing
For all you trail-riding guys, these full-seat riding breeches are available in white, light tan, and black and in sizes 30-40. The fabric consists of 92% breathable yet durable cotton and 8% Lycra for stretch.
The synthetic suede UltraGripp full seat prevents you from slipping in the saddle, and contoured sock bottoms keep these breeches securely tucked into your riding boots.
TuffRider is a brand of equestrian apparel with an excellent reputation. These winter-weight breeches are in the mid-range price category.
- Wide range of sizes
- High quality, durable cotton fabric
- Added Lycra for stretch
- UltraGripp full seat
- Pockets are a bit too small for most phones.
ECP RideTex Women’s Denim Breeches (Best Women’s Riding Breeches)
- The riding tights are constructed with a 4-way stretch denim fabric that resembles everyday jeans.
- They are constructed with high-quality silicone knee patches featuring a stylish honeycomb design to help your grip on the saddle.
- These ladies riding pants come with a built-in ergonomic ankle panel to promote an easier fit into riding boots.
- The denim leggings are mid-rise and made with a non-slip waistband with belt loops.
- The pants include modern front and back pockets, four total, for storing keys and other small, loose items.
For the fashion-forward rider, these flattering breeches look like regular mid-rise blue jeans and are available in sizes: 24-30. Your shirt will stay neatly tucked into the non-slip waistband, so you’ll always look your best.
Silicone is applied to the fabric employing a patented, thermal multi-layer process. This durable, protective coating protects the fabric from repeated friction against a leather saddle.
These fashionable denim riding tights have a 4-way stretch for the perfect fit, and silicone knee patches for better grip on the saddle.
For your convenience, there are a total of 4 pockets for keys, small change, and other essentials; so you can go from your ride to the town without even changing your clothes.
- Look like fashionable blue jeans
- Silicone protective layer
- An ankle panel ensures comfort and easy boot removal
- 4 pockets
- Silicone knee patches
- More expensive than most other riding tights
HR Farm Full Seat Silicone Grip Jodhpurs (Best Event Breeches)
- Please Choose Sizes according to our Size Chart
- Four-sided stretchable, breathable & hard wearing fabric
- High-quality full seat silicone grip, silicone won't fall off
- Middle rise waist, with 1 front zip pocket and 2 back pockets
- New design:Contrasting pockets and belt loops
Look your best at any equestrian event and steal the show in a staggering choice of 10 colors. The best horse riding pants for events, these stylish jodhpurs are available in sizes 22-34.
These breeches are machine washable and have a zipper closure and a total of 4 pockets.
The full seat has a durable silicone grip to give you the confidence and security you need in the saddle.
Sure, these breeches don’t have some of the tech features of other brands; but they are made of a very comfortable cotton-blend knit fabric with superb stretch, recovery, and compression capabilities.
- Cotton-blend fabric with superb stretch
- Durable silicone full seat grip
- Wide selection of colors and sizes
- 4 pockets
- Reasonably priced
- No fancy tech features
Horse Riding Best Breeches Buyer’s Guide
Type Of Breeches
The best riding pants are ones that suit your horse riding discipline, your body shape, and your budget.
There are four different styles of riding breeches, with variations in each category to suit your personal tastes. Here are the 4 main styles.
Knee Patch Breeches
Knee patch breeches like the Willit Women’s Knee Patch Schooling Tights are designed to be worn with knee-high boots, or with half chaps and short paddock boots. They end at mid-calf and have a patch of suede or similar material in the inner knee area.
Hunters wear these, but they are also often worn by competitive riders of various riding disciplines as well as for casual riding.
Full Seat Breeches
Full seat breeches like the Tuff Rider Full Seat Breeches are also designed to be worn with tall boots or half chaps. Full seat breeches have a section of suede or material with grip, continuing upwards from the knee, over the inner thighs, and across the buttocks.
Riders of various riding disciplines use these when participating in events, and dressage riders particularly like these as the extra grip across the seat like in the HR Farm Full Seat Silicone Grip Jodhpurs as it keeps them firmly seated, deep in the saddle.
Jodhpurs like the HR Farm Full Seat Silicone Grip Jodhpurs are tight-fitting ankle-length pants that end in a cuff, worn with ankle-length riding boots known as paddock boots. They are longer than other styles of riding breeches and generally have stirrups that run under the rider’s boots.
Jockeys’ breeches are made of white lightweight fabric, usually, nylon; and usually have elasticized lower legs. These breeches are used for horse racing.
Breathability & Weight
The materials that your riding pants are made of, need to be suitable for your riding discipline and individual needs. Some riding breeches, for example, the Willit Women’s Knee Patch Schooling Tights that are made of more lightweight and breathable fabric for warmer weather.
Others, such as the Irideon Men’s Wind Pro Breeches are designed for winter weather and often include a fleece lining for added warmth.
Modern riding pants like the ECP Ride Tex Women’s Denim Breeches often offer technology that makes the breeches more durable.
Cotton will give you the breathability you want in breech fabric, but it can lose its shape pretty quickly.
That is why it’s best to go for a cotton and Spandex/Lycra blend as in the TuffRider Cotton Full Seat Breeches so that you have the best of both worlds. The breathability of cotton with the stretchability of Spandex or Lycra.
The rise of your riding breech is just as important as with any other pair of pants. If you have a longer torso, go for a breech with a higher rise like the Willit Women’s Knee Patch Schooling Tights.
Riders with shorter or medium-length torsos can get away with a mid-rise as found in the ECP RideTex Women’s Denim Breeches.
Alternatives To Traditional Breeches
Do you only go horseback riding for fun, and just want to be comfortable? Would you like your riding pants to serve as activewear for other sports as well?
Riding tights like the have become popular in recent years, and these versatile leggings are ideal for pleasure riding as well as various forms of exercise.