Choosing the best horse brush may not sound as important as buying a saddle or other tack. However, grooming is a daily activity, and having the right grooming brushes can save you time and make the process a lot more fun for you and your horse.
With so many brushes on the market, there is an endless variety to choose from. This guide will help you find the best tried-and-tested brushes to include in your kit to get your horse looking and feeling great from toe to tail.
Horse Brushes (Our Top Picks Reviewed)
Desert Equestrian Inc Legends Cowboy Brush Palmyra (Best Body Brush)
- Durable and compact horse coat brush
- Stiff brown Palmyra fiber with 1.5 in. trim
- Oval-shaped brush with hardwood back
- Features a hand stitched leather strap
- Perfect for heavy grooming
This is one stylish stiff grooming brush with an engraved leather strap and hardwood handle. We love the look and feel of the natural materials including bristles made from Palmyra, a fiber from palm trees. Besides looking good, the hard synthetic bristles are super effective at getting mud off your horse’s coat.
The broad oval shape of the brush covers a good area with each stroke. This is an impressive tool to add to any grooming kit and to use at shows. The brush looks more expensive than it really is. Sadly, the bristles come out with time and the decorative button falls off after a couple of uses.
- Attractive design
- Sturdy wooden handle
- Stiff bristles
- Strong enough to remove mud
- Not very durable
- Bristles are not for sensitive skin
The decker 65 Horse Hair Blend (Best Natural Bristle Brush)
Our pick for one of the best horse brushes made with natural fibers. The soft bristles are made of a blend of horsehair and synthetic fibers that remove dirt from the coat without scratching the skin.
We like the simple yet effective design of this brush. An ergonomic shape fits comfortably into your hand to prevent aches and tiring over a long time. The bristles are thick and densely packed and you can use this horse brush as a body brush in your daily grooming routine or as a finishing brush for a healthy shine.
This is maybe not the most durable brush as the horsehair bristles fall out with use. Still a good buy overall.
- Can be used on the face
- Comfortable grip
- Polypropylene grip will not get moldy
- Value for money
- Bristles quickly lose shape
- Hard to clean hair off bristles
Wahl Combo Body Brush (Best 2-in-1 Body Brush)
- Wahl's Combo Body Horse Brush combines a stiff and soft brush to effortlessly remove mud, sweat, and dirt from your horse's coat.
- Designed with a comfortable rubber grip for an enjoyable grooming experience for both you and your horse.
- With its patented ergonomic design, this horse brush is easy to grip and fits comfortably in the groomer's hand.
- Keep your horse's coat healthy and clean with regular grooming and brushing.
The Wahl Combo Body brush gives you amazing value for money by combining a stiff grooming brush and a soft brush into a single tool. Wahl is a trusted brand when it comes to horse grooming brushes and this brush with soft bristles on one end and hard bristles on the other does the work of two brushes.
The strong, densely packed hard bristles work as a dandy brush to remove more difficult dirt and sweat from your horse’s coat. When you get to the sensitive face area, just swap ends for the gentler, soft bristles which work as a finishing brush.
- Contoured rubber grip
- Time-saving tool
- Value for money
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Less surface area of each bristle type
- Bristles could be stiffer
BOTH WINNERS Reversible Stainless Steel Curry Comb (Best Curry Comb)
- SOFT ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED HANDLE-Which comfortably forms to your hand no matter which way you hold it dramatically maximizes your control while grooming.
- REVERSIBLE-Spring steel has two sides that you can flip over. Spring curry with a smooth side for daily use and a sharper side for really tough mud and hair.
- REMOVE CAKED MUD AND SHED LOOSE HAIR-Perfect for shedding horse or animals, easy to remove caked mud and shedded or loose hair, increase blood circulation, improve horse healthy.
- MULTI-FUNCTION GROOMING TOOL-Also can be used to clean carpet and body brush. Leaves your horse's coat beautiful.
- STRONG TEETH-Teeth will not bend or break
A super 2-in-1 brush One side of this metal curry comb is smooth for daily use but you can flip it around to use the sharper teeth to remove stubborn mud and matted hair from the horse’s coat. One of the best horse grooming brushes to use in shedding season.
The 4 rings of stainless steel tines work much better than the standard, soft rubber curry combs to remove shedding hair. The one problem with this product is that it is difficult to switch between the sides of the comb as the spring mechanism is very strong.
- Strong metal that does not bend
- Comfortable handle
- Easy to clean
- Can be used to clean hair off tack
- Tricky to flip between teeth sizes
- Too sharp for sensitive body parts
SleekEZ Deshedding Grooming Tool (Best Grooming Block)
- [WORLD’S #1 DESHEDDING TOOL] - The ORIGINAL by SleekEZ (10inch - Large) is the World's #1 Patented Deshedding Tool for Pets. Our unique Wave Pattern Blade is perfectly constructed to gently brush away loose fur, dirt, and dander without snagging! Nothing works better than SleekEZ at removing shedding hair, dirt and dander.
- [PAINLESS & ENJOYABLE FOR YOUR PET] - Take the headache and frustration out of deshedding your pet once and for all! Comprised of teeny, tiny teeth configured in a unique tooth and wave pattern, SleekEZ works by grabbing at the tips of the hair to extract from the skin without painful tugging. You’ll be amazed how much your pet loves SleekEZ!
- [EASY TO CLEAN & ERGONOMIC HANDLE] - Hair collects along the blade of teeth in tidy rows before falling to the ground for later cleanup. No need to pull hair from the tool. It just falls into neat little piles to the ground. So simple, so effective!
- [WIDE APPLICATION & USA MADE] - Not only does SleekEZ work on pets but also furniture, pet bedding, saddle pads, cars and carpeting. Works on any animal year round for removing all expired hair from the coat.*
SleekEZ Deshedding tool has a patented wave design that works wonders to remove dirt and loose hair without pulling the coat of sensitive horses. Built-up fur simply falls off the teeth so no need to pull it out.
The quality steel teeth don’t change shape over time and the wood is highly durable. Another benefit of this tool is that you can also use it to remove hair from horse blankets and numnahs. Be sure to buy the bigger ‘horse’ size that is comfortable to hold with both hands.
Thousands of happy customers all over the world praise this product as one of the best horse grooming tools around and essential addition to your horse grooming kit.
- Comfortable oval-shaped grip
- Patented wave design teeth
- Lifetime warranty
- Expensive compared to similar tools
- Does not work on long hair
Oster ECS Mane and Tail (Best For Manes & Tails)
- Horse brush with ball tipped pins for gentle brushing
- Removes knots and tangles without breaking hair
- Design enables multi directional brushing
- Available in pink and blue
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
There are a couple of things we love about this horse brush that make it a great addition to your grooming kit.
The long handle is comfortable to hold with a good grip. The design lets you brush at any angle without getting a cramp in your hand, unlike wide-grip horse grooming brushes.
The horse brush head has a good surface area so you will be able to brush through tangles more quickly than with other mane and tail grooming brushes.
Lastly, small balls at the end of the bristles effortlessly detangle the mane and tail. The balls also prevent pulling the horse’s hair or poking on sensitive skin.
- Fast Detangling
- Works on different mane types
- Value for money
- Comfortable rubber handle
- Small balls come off with regular use
- Pins can bend easily
Tough 1 Great Grips Flex Finishing Brush (Best Finishing Brush)
- Two flexible joints allow brush to form to horses body and your hand
- Adjustable hand strap for comfort
- Blue/Light Blue in color
The best thing about this finishing brush is that it has two flexible joints that move with your hand providing excellent grip and comfort. The flexibility is a huge help to those suffering from arthritis.
The flexible design is also very useful in following the contours of the horse’s body.
This brush is perfect for brushing off dust and grass stains around the legs.
The synthetic bristles are medium at the end with soft bristles at the center. It is gentle enough to use on sensitive skin along boney withers and the spine. This horse grooming brush is great for removing fine dust, doing final touch-ups, and creating a shiny coat but not firm enough to remove tough dirt.
- Adjustable strap
- Reasonable price
- Conforms to hand shape
- Perfect for horses with sensitive skin
- Not for heavy-duty mud
- Strap over cutback may need adjusting
How To Choose the Best Grooming Brush (A Buyer’s Guide)
When it comes to grooming brushes, you will definitely need more than one. Different brushes have different uses in your horse grooming kit.
Some of your most important brushes are those you will use daily including a curry comb, body brush, and a flick brush with stiff bristles to get rid of tough dirt and loose hair.
For shows, you should consider buying a good finishing brush to create a shiny coat and a mane and tail brush to get knots out of hair before plaiting. It is also always nice to have a few special trophy brushes to keep in your grooming kit and show off at a horse show.
Other tools like scrapers and de-shedding brushes may not be used every day but are necessary to get rid of layers of shedding hair and dead skin. Especially if your horse gets a thick winter coat. These tools are an important addition to any grooming kit.
You will need to look at the material, bristle length, stiffness, and even spacing as this affects how you use the brush.
Brushes with bristles of natural fibers such as horse or pig hair are better for making the coat thicker and lusher and stimulating oil production for a glossy finish. Natural fibers create softer, more gentle bristles that are good for horses with sensitive skin.
Harder, long bristles are what you are looking for flicking dirt off the coat, brushing off sweat or grass stains. Short hard bristles are better at getting rid of caked mud and matted fur. In this case, synthetic bristle brushes including hard plastics, metal, and rubber (curry combs) will be your go-to.
Soft bristle brushes are used for final touch-ups as well a to sweep away finer dirt and dust.
There’s no point buying a brush that’s uncomfortable to hold or slips out of your hand every few strokes! Wooden handgrips are more firm and give you more control when brushing and are usually more comfortable to hold while a plastic grip often lasts longer.
If you have especially large or small hands, adjustable straps and contoured/ ergonomic grips are going to be your best options. Rubber grips on the brush will stick better against your palm without slipping. You can also find brushes with flexible joints that are good for preventing hand cramps. These flex brushes are also suitable for arthritis sufferers.
As with most things, you usually get what you pay for when it comes to buying horse grooming brushes.
Be prepared to spend more on good-quality grooming brushes that you will use daily. Invest a little extra on something that will make grooming easier to do and will save you time in the long run. Better quality materials, like wood, also tend to have a longer life expectancy.
Overall don’t compromise on your horse’s comfort and health. Be prepared to buy several brushes to use for different stages of the grooming process and on different parts of your horse. Over time your collection will grow and you will learn what works best for you.