As the seasons change, you are going to be looking for the best winter breeches to see you through the cold weather.
Winter riding breeches should fit just as well as your summer pairs but need to be much warmer and give you some protection from the elements.
By comparing fleece linings, waterproofing, and fit, we have selected 6 of our favorites. These warm and cozy breeches are ideal for wet days, icy winds, and sub-zero temperatures.
Our Top 6 Winter Horse Riding Breeches
Kerrits Sit-Tight Wind-Pro Knee Patch Breech (Best Overall)
- Polartec Wind Pro exterior shell holds body heat in and weather out
- Cozy brushed fleece interior fights chills without adding layers
- Wind and water-resistant
- Quick-access side pocket
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
These Kerrits Sit-Tight Wind-Pro Knee Patch Breech are insulated with brushed fleece lining for extra warmth. The outer shell is wind and water-resistant. Suede knee patches give you a good grip against the saddle.
There is a nice wide waistband with belt loops on these comfortable riding pants. The fit is very flattering and not bulky. Size generally runs true but if you have bigger calves you might want to buy a size up.
Stretchy panels on the lower leg fit well under riding boots so you won’t struggle to zip up. A bonus to these breeches is that hair and dirt won’t stick to the fabric.
- Good quality
- Warm fleece lining
- Spacious side pocket
- Available in several colours
- Tight around the calves
- Expensive price
Mountain Horse Polar Breeches (Best Water Proof Breeches)
These Mountain Horse Polar unisex breeches are fully sealed to be completely waterproof. The pants are fully insulated but still have plenty of room to wear riding tights or leggings underneath.
We like the full-length zippers down the sides. This feature makes it easy to put them on and take them off over layers. The pant legs are long but there is velcro and snaps to keep the bottoms from dragging on the ground.
Sure to keep you warm and dry even in the coldest weather. These comfortable, good-quality breeches will see you through multiple winters of everyday riding.
- Waterproof and Windproof
- Adjustable waist
- Reflective strips and pockets
- Heavy duty
- The waist is small relative to leg size
- Legs are long
Horze Grand Prix Women’s Thermo Softshell Silicone FS Breeches (Best Full Seat Breeches)
These Horze Grand Prix Women’s Thermo Softshell riding breeches have a soft fleece lining to keep you warm in the winter months. The fabric is thick and durable but still breathable with enough flexibility for a wide range of movement. The full silicone seat provides some extra grip on the saddle.
The softshell fabric protects you from icy winds and repels water so long as rain doesn’t soak in. Elastic leg bottoms make for a smooth fit under tall boots or chaps. The waist is wider and the breeches are medium-high rise with two front pockets, just right for storing treats.
- Silicone seat for extra grip
- Fleece-lined for warmth
- Wind, water, and dirt repellent
- Wide waistband
- Fits large on some customers
- Expensive price
FITS ThermaMAX TechTread Winter Breech (Best For Movement)
The FITS ThermaMAX TechTread winter full seat breeches have a seam-free gusseted crotch and four-way stretch for a snug fit. This patented design is more comfortable to ride in and allows you to sit deep in the saddle. The directionally resistant tread is strategically placed where it is needed most for grip.
The outer fabric is and is anti-pill and dirt brushes right off. We love that there are two pockets so you have more space to keep treats and your phone while horse riding. The leg bottoms are a little bulky so it’s difficult to fit long boots over these riding breeches.
- Water and dirt resistant
- Cargo pockets and belt loops
- Practical and comfortable
- Difficult to fit boots over
- Small fit
TuffRider Ladies Unifleece Pull-On Winter Breeches (Best Around The Barn)
- Fleece Lined | Lowrise
- Pull-On | Detailed Waistband
- Front Zip Pocket | UltraGripp Patches
- Contoured Sock Bottoms
- 96% Micro Polyester, 4% Spandex
Available in a range of neutral colors at an affordable price. These TuffRider Ladies Unifleece Pull-On Winter Breeches have a drawstring and elastic waistband to keep them in place. Sock bottoms on the legs help keep cold air out and make it easy to slide into boots. These breeches are warm and comfortable to wear around the barn or on cold winter rides.
We like that these fleece-lined winter breeches have a front zip pocket, perfect to safely store your keys. Plus, there are ultra-grip patches on your inner calves.
Unfortunately, every bit of hair and straw will stick to the polar fleece and it does form balls. The fabric does not stretch so consider buying a size up.
- Silicone leg grip
- Elastic waist
- Zip pocket
- Good Price
- Not a flattering cut
- Pills easily
BALEAF Women’s Winter Riding Breeches (Best Price Fleece Lined Breeches)
- 【Warm & Soft】The fleece lined horse riding pants for women is made of upgrade fabric to keep you warm and comfortable, suitable for cold weather under 40°F. Best choice for winter riding.
- 【Stretchy & Water resistan】Non-transparent and 4-way stretch fabric fits all body shapes and sizes. Water repellent technology can handle light rain for a short time or keep dry in snow days and provides wind protection.
- 【Silicone Knee Patches】High-quality silicone knee patches provides security and super grip in the saddle. Cute "pony" shaped silicone ensures the grip while not too sticky. Seamless design for inner thighs reduces leg and saddle friction, more comfotable.
- 【Belt Loops & Pockets】Mid rise waistband with belt loops provides plenty of coverage. Two side pockets let them keep horse treats handy or hold your 6" phone, safe and convenient.
- 【First Choice for Winter Riding】All you need for winter horse riding is a pair of BALEAF fleece horse riding tights. Traditional riding pants design with fleece inside, suitable for competitive trail riding, equestrianism sports and hunter pacing.
These BALEAF Women’s Winter Riding Breeches have a mid-rise waist and plenty of stretch to fit all body types.
You will like the cute pony-shaped grips on the inner leg which give some traction against the saddle. The inner legs are seamless to reduce friction.
The material is thin compared to more expensive winter breeches. This means they are better to wear in fall and early spring rather than extremely cold weather. Overall they are great value for the price and fit true to size.
- Water repellent
- Two side pockets
- Affordable price
- Four-way stretch
- Too thin for cold winter days
- Material is a bit slippery
Choosing the Best Winter Riding Breeches (A Buyer’s Guide)
Comfort and Warmth
Breeches should sit comfortably on your waist so check whether you are buying high-rise or medium-low rise. A wider waistbelt and hoops for your belt also help prevent riding breeches from sliding down.
To keep you warm, winter riding breeches should have a weatherproof outer shell and a soft fleece lining. The material shouldn’t be so thick that you can’t easily zip up your riding boots
Waterproofing and Windproofing
Firstly, you should understand the difference between water-resistant and waterproof.
Water-resistant or water repellant breaches can handle splashes, light rainfall, and even some snow. Water droplets roll off the outer material and can be brushed off so long as it doesn’t soak in.
Proper waterproof riding pants are completely sealed against any moisture. These pants should withstand even harder rainfall and are usually tighter at the ankles and waist to stop water from getting under your breeches.
Grip and Flexibility
To improve your grip on the saddle, most riding breeches have silicone patches either on the inner knee or on the entire inside of your leg up to your seat. The latter are called full seat breeches. Textured fabric is an alternative design to provide better grip and stability in the saddle.
You will be looking for breeches with nice and stretchy fabric. Some stretch is ideal to layer up for winter riding. More flexible fabrics such as spandex and polyester are great choices. These materials fit snug on curvy as well as petite figures.